Total Profit Solutions for IT Companies®
Service Leadership Index®
- Product GM% - BIC Profit SPs: Q2-12 27.6% Q3-12 26.8% Q4-12 29.0% Q1-13 23.6%
- Product GM% - Median Profitability SPs: Q2-12 24.0% Q3-12 20.2% Q4-12 21.9% Q1-13 20.8%
- Product GM% - Bottom 1/4 Profitability SPs: Q2-12 12.0% Q3-12 22.3% Q4-12 15.0% Q1-13 6.4%
- Services GM% - BIC Profitability SPs: Q2-12 53.7% Q3-12 57.6% Q4-12 54.9% Q1-13 53.1%
- Services GM% - Median Profitability SPs: Q2-12 47.7% Q3-12 47.5% Q4-12 46.9% Q1-13 44.0%
- Services GM% - Bottom 1/4 Profitability SPs: Q2-12 41.0% Q3-12 37.8% Q4-12 36.8% Q1-13 32.7%
- SG&A% - BIC Profitability SPs: Q2-12 27.2% Q3-12 26.3% Q4-12 27.3% Q1-13 28.5%
- SG&A% - Median Profitability SPs: Q2-12 29.6% Q3-12 28.8% Q4-12 29.8% Q1-13 29.7%
- SG&A% - Bottom 1/4 Profitability SPs: Q2-12 32.0% Q3-12 34.7% Q4-12 37.3% Q1-13 35.7%
- EBITDA% - BIC Profitability SPs: Q2-12 18.4% Q3-12 23.7% Q4-12 21.5% Q1-13 17.2%
- EBITDA% - Median Profitability SPs: Q2-12 8.6% Q3-12 10.3% Q4-12 8.5% Q1-13 6.3%
- EBITDA% - Bottom 1/4 Profitability SPs: Q2-12 −0.3% Q3-12 −2.4% Q4-12 −6.7% Q1-13 −5.2%
Quarterly Solution Provider Performance
Proven Methods - Tailored Individually
In all three approaches, we use a simple, five-step approach:
- What are the goals? What should they be?
- What are the current situation and resources?
- Develop strategy and tactics to meet the goals.
- Support the successful execution of the strategy and tactics.
- Monitor, respond and adjust as needed.
Obviously, the breadth, depth and tools used to accomplish these five steps vary considerably depending on which approach is used.
For the issue targeted consulting and the strategic assessment and planning, these steps are often contained in an engagement as follows:
- Request a range of information from the client, and also perform a Comprehensive Diagnostic Benchmark© if the client has not yet done one with us.
- This allows us to more quickly determine the current state of the company – the starting point, so to speak – with regards to financial performance, resources and capability, and customer base.
- During our analysis of the requested information and the Comprehensive Diagnostic Benchmark©, we typically interact with the client to clarify the information and refine the analysis.
- Work with the management team to refine and clarify the strategic goals. We typically, although not always, accomplish this in a full-day on-site working session.
- Often, “low hanging fruit” actions can be identified and put into action at this stage.
- Develop a detailed, prioritized action plan in draft form which contains:
- Financial plan and resources,
- Steps to optimize financial and operational performance to ensure a solid foundation for the transformation,
- As noted above, these can be issue-targeted or can span the range of functions and activities in the company, including go-to-market, pricing, sales and marketing, delivery, account management, compensation plans, customer relationships and partners.
- Steps to accomplishing the transformation,
- These may span a range of functions and activities in the company.
- The action plan is laid out in recommended sequence and priority and is typically 10-15 pages.
- We typically, although not always, visit the client for a full-day on-site working session to review our recommendations in the draft action plan and work together to assign dates and responsibilities for the management team.
- Typically, the team fully engages in the action plan at this point.
- Within a week, we provide the final “for the record” calendarized action plan.
- Typically, monthly follow up calls of 90 minutes each are scheduled for three months to twelve months, to ensure the management team has the opportunity to call on Service Leadership to help clarify solutions or remove obstacles, and to enable tracking and ensure focusing of the client’s progress.
This method is tailored appropriately for the needs, style and budget of each client.